Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Twenty-First Day

                                          The First Book of Moses Called
                                                         GENESIS
                                            King James Version, Holy Bible

The first part of genesis focuses on the beginning and spread of sin in the world and culminates in the devasting flood in the days of Noah. The second part of the book focuses on God's dealings with one man, Abraham. Abraham and his descendants learn firsthand that it is always safe to trust the Lord in times of famine, blessing and bondage. From Abraham...to Isaac...to Jacob...to Joseph...God's promises begin to come to fruition in a great nation possessing a great land.
     Genesis is a Greek word meaning "origin,"  "source,"  "generation,"  or "beginning."  the original Hebrew title Bereshith means "In the Beginning."
     The literary structure of Genesis is clear and is built around eleven seprate units, each including the word generations in the phrase "There are the generations" or "The book of the generations":  (1) Introduction to the Genealogies (1:1--2:3);  (2) Heaven and Earth (2:4--4:26);  (3) Adam (5:1--6:8);  (4) Noah (6:9--9:29);  (5) Sons of Noah (10:1--11:9);  (6) Shem (11:10-26); (7) Terah (11:27--25:11); (8) Ishmael (25:12-18); (9) Isaac (25:19--35:29); (10) Esau (36:1--37:1); (11) Jacob (37:2--50:26).

                                                     Twenty-first Day

                              While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest
                 cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night, shall not cease.
                                                                                   Genesis 8:22

Ever wonder why gardeners garden? It's a valid question-one I've often asked myself. Especially as I hunker down in the damp spring soil to carefully cull weeds that are nested between emerging seedlings.

Why garden? I wonder, as I pinch potato beetles and slap at mosquitoes that buzz around my head.

Why garden? is the question I hear in my mind as I wrestle my tomato plants into their cages or apply calamine lotion to my poison ivy spots.

Why garden? I ask, especially when my kitchen temperature tops 90 degrees as quarts of green beans sizzle inside the pressure canner, and I frantically search cookbooks for new ways to use up the never-ending supply of zucchini.

Most gardeners garden because of the harvest--fresh fruit, ripe from the trees; snappy vegetables, bursting with flavor; or beautiful bouquets of fragrant, homegrown flowers. It's the harvest. It's all about the harvest.

The harvest is a reminder of the cycle we call life. Read Genesis 8:22 once more. There is a sure and abiding comfort in this verse. It's a promise that helps keep me focused on the real reason for living-God is growing me for His harvest. There will be difficulties-summer, slugs, and sadness; winter, weeds, and worries- but as long as the earth remains and I have life, God will be with me.  Along with the cold, my Savior will provide warmth of His forgiveness and love. Nighttime won't frighten me, because I know that as  I sleep, my God will not. And in the end-the very end- God will gather up His harvest. It will be a great and joy-filled harvest of believers in Jesus, the Savior.

Prayer suggestion. Picture yourself in the final harvest of believers. Ask Jesus to help you live today with that final harvest in mind.   http://a1itsinthebag.blogspot.com,http//lindagjehoich.blogspot.com,http://listening4u.blogspot.com, http://www.orble.com/Winning

No comments:

Post a Comment