Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day Twenty-Four

                                                   The Book of Psamls
                                               King James Version Bible.

THE Book of Psalms is the largest and perhaps most widely used book in the Bible. It explores the full range of human experience in a very personal and practical way. Its 150 "songs" run from the Creation through the patriarchal, theocratic, monarchical, exilic, and postexilic periods. The tremendous breadth of subject matter in the Psalms includes diverse topics, such as jubilation, war, peace, worship, judgement, messianic prophecy, praise, and lament. The Psalms were set to the accompaniment of stringed instruments and served as the temple hymnbook and devotional guide for the Jewish people.
     The Book of Psalms was gradually collected and originally unnamed, perhaps due to the great variety of material. It came to be known as Sepher Tehillim--"Book of Praises"-- because almost every psalm contains some note of praise to God. The Septuagint uses the Greek word Psalmoi as its title for this book, meaning "Poems Sung to the Accompaniment of Musical Instruments." It also calls it the Psalterium (A Collection of Songs"), and this word is the basis for the term Psalter. The Latin title is  Liber Psalmorum, "Book of Psalms."

                                                                Day 24     

                       Let the field be joyful, and all that is in it. Then all the trees of the
                                   woods will rejoice before the Lord. For he is coming.
                                                                                Psalms 96 : 12-13

There's a sense of excitement and anticipation as harvest time nears. Days, even weeks before I plan to harvest from my garden. I begin to prepare. I collect my harvesting "tools"--like fabric sacks. Yes, I  said fabric sacks (bags). I use my large fabric sacks that I sewed 6 years ago during the cold winter months. I like to use my large fabric sacks when I pick fruits and veggies. When the apples or carrots are gathered in the sack. I can wash them outside. I can turn my sacks inside out, shake the dirt out, toss them in my washer and they are ready to go the next trip out to my garden or to the grocery store any where I need to carry extra storage with me. They save time and keeps most of the mess outside the house.

As harvest approaches, I also take stock of my pantry. I count and check canning jars, shop for freezer bags and canning lids, and clear my freezer and basement shelves to make way for the new harvest stock.

Getting ready for harvest time is necessary and exciting! Preparing builds my anticipation and heightens my sense of purpose and joy about gardening.

Psalms 96 reminds me of a different kind of harvest--the final judgement--when our Lord and Savior, Jesus, will return to judge the earth and take us home to heaven. You might want to read the entire psalm to catch the excitement!

One day the final harvest will come. What a priviledge it is that God invites us to have a part in the preparation for that harvest--Judgement Day. How does the Holy Spirit help us prepare? He gives us a sense of purpose--to share our faith with others. The Spirit gives us strength--to remain faithful to Christ no matter what happens. And the Holy Spirit gives us joyful anticipation--the sure knowledge that the eternal life in heaven awaits us and all believers in Jesus, our risen and reigning Lord.

Prayer suggestion. Ask your Lord Jesus to help you purposefully live today in preparation for His final harvest.

http://listening4u.blogspot.com/, http://a1itsinthebag.blogspot.com/, http://lindagjehoich.blogspot.com/, http://www.orble.com/winning

I SEW Contact Linda G. at a1itsin the bag@gmail.com
</145494>

No comments:

Post a Comment