Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 25, 2011

Day Thirteen

                                The Second Epistle of PETER...KJV  the BIBLE

First Peter deals with problems from the outside; Second Peter deals with problems fron the inside. Peter writes to warn the believers about the false teachers who are peddling damaging doctrine. He begins by urging them to keep close watch on their personal lives. The Christian life demands diligence in pursuing moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perserverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and selfless love. By contrast, the false teachers are sensual, arrogant, greedy, and covetous. They scoff at the thought of future judgement and live their lives as if the present would be the pattern for the future. Peter reminds them that although God may be longsuffering in sending judgement, ultimately it will come. In view of that fact, believers should live lives of godliness, blamelessness, and steadfastness.
     The statement of authorship in 1:1 is very clear: "Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ." To distinguish this epistle from the first by Peter it was given the Greek title Petrou B, the "Second of Peter."

                                                        Day 13

                                    Grow in the grace and knowledge of our
                                            Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
                                                                          2 Peter 3:18

Fungus, Gophers, Persistent weeds. These are a few of the pests that drive me to my gardening books or horticultural Web sites. I admit, when my gardening goes smoothly, I seek the experts advice less frequently. When my efforts fail--then I look for help. I'd no doubt be a much better gardener if I studied my horticultural books more often.

It sometimes reminds me of my spiritual life. When my life pleasantly passes from one sunny day to the next, I seek my Lord less...read my Bible less frequently...attend Bible study with less enthusiam...and my prayer life diminishes. But if disaster strikes--sickness, loss of job, or other calamity--I'm driven to my Lord, often accompanied by a sense of deperation. I know this isn't the way my Savior wants our relationship to function.

It's important to understand that God doesn't zap people with diseases or disaster. It's against His loving nature. He loves us. Always. He's on our side. Forever. The reality is that we live in a world sick with sin and its consequences. We will inevitably face hardships in this life, but that doesn't mean God causes them. Instead, He intends to help us in them and bring us through them.

Our gracious Lord is powerful enough to deflect every trouble that heads our direction. Why doesn't He? Because He knows the challenges will lead us and sometimes even drive us to His Word--where God can show us our sin, assure us of His forgiveness, and empower us to change. God's Word also nourishes our relationship with Him so that we can truly grow in grace and a deeper understanding of His love.

God also "prunes" us with good times. His abundant blessings fill our hearts with incredible joy, and we seek Him with thankfulness and wonder at His love. The Spirit works through every circumstance--good or bad--to draw us ever closer to His heart of love.

Prayer suggestion. How might your life change if you truly believe that God is on your side no matter what your outward circumstances? Ask Jesus to plant that knowledge in your heart today and help you grow in His grace forever.  </1454947>  http://lindagjehoich.blogspot.com,http//a1itsinthebag.blogspot.com,http://www.orble.com/winning

No comments:

Post a Comment